Reference 2 was used to accurately define the difference between a Journeyman Plumber License and a Master Plumber License. Licenses must be renewed every two years.
To obtain the Journeyman Plumber License, one must pass the statutory/regulatory and trade portions of the Virginia plumber’s examination. Other journeyman plumber license requirements include:
- Two years of plumbing experience and a degree/certification from a community college, technical school or trade program; or
- 5 years of practical plumbing experience and a minimum of 160 hours of vocational training; or
- 6 years of practical plumbing experience and a minimum of 80 hours of vocational training; or
- 4 years of practical plumbing experience and 240 hours of plumbing training; or
- A bachelor’s degree in an engineering curriculum from an accredited university or college and 1 year of practical plumbing experience; or
- 10 years of practical plumbing experience.
To obtain a Master Plumber License in Virginia, one must pass the statutory/regulatory trade portions of the Virginia plumber’s examination. Other master plumber license requirements include:
- One year of practical plumbing experience as a licensed Virginia journeyman plumber; or
- 10 years of plumbing experience.
The Master Plumber examination includes a mixture of subjects. Some questions focus on plumbing-specific topics including questions about building code and how to approach various plumbing challenges. Others deal with business law, discussing contracts, obligations, and other aspects of the trade that a master plumber may encounter. These questions ensure that master plumbers are fit to draft contracts and will work professionally with their clients; the licensing process is designed as a form of consumer protection to help homeowners avoid unscrupulous or untrained contractors.
Daniel The Plumber was licensed as a Master Plumber in both Virginia and WSSC by 2014, with four years of Plumbing School and over 10 years of experience at that point. He also holds an Associates Degree, and has focused curriculum work on marketing and business administration.